While I was taking the summer off, it seems both my business (Egg and Feather, LLC) and my blog (wwweggandfeather.com) turned one year old.
I didn’t even get a cake.
I did get a few stats. I ended the year with:
- 11 followers (including myself)
- 32 blog posts
- 13 of those blog posts were book reviews
- 45 comments (17 of which were mine)
- 4 new clients
Not bad. For a starting business. Now it’s time to make those stats BETTER. Or, at least, BIGGER. I’ll start with what I can control—the number of posts. Even subtracting out the ten weeks I accidentally took off for summer, I’m still ten posts short for a full year of once-weekly posts. To that end, I’m shifting my schedule around a bit (and The Boy starting fourth grade certainly helps!) and will post every Tuesday—leaving me Mondays to write the posts!
Tuesdays will alternate between book reviews (or, more specifically, what I learned from reading), and editing and writing articles (or, what I learned from reading my clients’ work). If you struggle with something, post a comment (and up my stats for next year!) and I’ll write up a post with an answer. In the meantime, look for book reviews on:
- North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headley, because I loved it
- Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan, because Amazon said to read it
- Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, because Amazon said to
- Matched by Ally Condie, because M said to
- The False Princess by Ellis O’Neal, because YALSA suggested it
Also, look for editing and writing articles on:
- Ugly first drafts, to paraphrase Anne Lamott
- How to pare down description
- How to name characters
- How to show the passing of time
- 7 basic conflicts and how to use them to create story ideas
In other words, summer is over, and it’s time to get back to work. I look forward to it!